Or as I would like to call them:
Pretzel Caramel Shortbread "I Think I'll Have Five" Bars
I am sure you have all had your fair share of holiday treat recipes by now. It's all I see on my pinterest board. I don't hate it. My addiction to foodporn is at an all time high from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas Day.
If you are Susie Homemaker and have already baked up a billion Christmas cookies, good for you. If you are like me and am just getting around to it, high five.
What's a few more sticks of butter and a pound of sugar going to hurt? Nobody! That's why you should make these and give them to your neighbors....or secret admirers...or the mail man. Your choice really.
Caramel Pretzel Shortbread Bars Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cold + cubed butter
- 1 cup sugar
1. Work butter into flour and sugar until it creates a sandy dough
2. Line a 13x9 baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Press the dough with the palm of your hand to create a tight firm crust
4. Bake for 45 minutes in a 300 degree oven.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
2 cups small pretzels, crushed
1. Bring sugar and butter to a soft boil
2. Stir in milk until incorporated.
3. Strain caramel and pour over shortbread. Distribute evenly
4. Evenly spread crushed pretzels on top of the caramel
5. Allow to cool. Slice with a very sharp knife. I use a slicing knife or a bread knife.