I typically don't eat protein bars. I abruptly stopped eating them after I did the Death Ride in 2009. Every single day I was eating protein bars on my bike, midway up a mountain pass or at the top. It was always Clif bars too. I loved them. I still love them. I just over did them, you know?
Well, lately I've been slowly easing into them again. Between school and being busy, they are sort of a perfect pick me up.
I am pretty picky when it comes to protein bars. I don't like a lot of random ingredients or a ton of ingredients for that matter. The less sugar the better too.
I attempted to make my own protein bars today. They are packed with protein and relatively easy to make. I used Vanilla Sun Warrior Protein because, well....I adore it. I surely hope you play around with this recipe and come up with your own protein bars!
Banana Protein Bars: Recipe
(makes 4 bars)
1 cup instant oats
2 ripe bananas
2 scoops or 42 grams vanilla protein powder (I used Sun Warrior)
2 tbsp almond milk
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp almond flour
1 tbsp agave syrup
sprinkle of cinnamon
sprinkle of salt
preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Blend bananas, almond milk and protein powder in a blender. Pour into a bowl.
2. Add chia seeds and let sit for 15 minutes
3. Add all other ingredients, stir to combine. (It will be thick)
4. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Spread evenly.
5. Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
6. Slice evenly and wrap in plastic or a small plastic baggies.