Pumpkin Seed Pesto:
1 large handful Italian flat leaf parsley
1 large handful fresh basil
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Zest from one lemon
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. In a food processor, combine all but olive oil.
2. Pulse until fine, slowly adding olive oil until it is thick but saucy.
Pumpkin Ricotta Filling:
1 can of pumpkin puree
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 large shallots, sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
3 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
fresh nutmeg grated to taste
1. Saute shallots in a bit of olive oil until translucent
2. Add sage for only a minute. Transfer to food processor
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor. Season as you go.
4. Pulse until fully combined
1 lb flour (4 cups)
.5 tsp olive oil
1. Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and oil and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well. As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up from the base of the mound to retain the well shape.
2. The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated. At this point, start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands.
3. Once there is a mass, remove the dough from the board and discard any leftover bits. Lightly reflour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
5. Using a pasta machine, roll out to a number 5 thickness.
6. Cut 2 inch circles from dough.
To assemble tortellini:
1. Place a small dollop of pumpkin puree in the center of each.
2. Using an egg wash of one egg and a tiny bit of water, spread a little egg wash on one side of the circle.
3. Fold over to make a half moon.
4. Hold each end of the corners and place a bit off egg wash on one corner.
5. Bring both corners together and place one corner on top of the other.
6. It will come together.
7. Place on a floured parchment covered cookie sheet.
8. Keep a damp cloth over finished tortellini so they do not dry out.
9. Cook tortellini in heavily salted boiling water just until they float.
10. Toss in warmed pesto and serve.