I have a vivid memory growing up of my mom opening up a package of Sticky Finger's lemon poppyseed scone mix on Saturday mornings and baking them for us.
I love those memories.
Since this is the last full day before I leave for school, I wanted to dedicate this morning's breakfast to my mom and those scones.
I decided to create my own recipe. And for my niece, her own mini nutella scones.
Lemon Poppyseed Scones
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
3 tbsp poppyseeds
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup agave syrup
Zest of 3 lemons
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4-1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
6 tbsp unsalted cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl
2. Add lemon zest. Stir. Add lemon juice and stir
3. Add cubed butter. Cut the butter into the dough until it create marble sized lumps
4. Add buttermilk, stir just until combined.
5. Make a small circle out of the dough. Wrap in plastic and let chill at least 30 minutes to overnight.
6. Cut 8 even triangles out of the circle.
7. Place onto a lined cookie sheet.
8. Brush buttermilk over top of scones and sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.
Slather with jam, butter, lemon curd or just gobble them up plain.
Just incase anyone is curious about the Nutella Mini Scones...
1 1/2 cup AP flour
2 tbsp butter cubed
2 heaping tbsp nutella
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/8-1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Same as the lemon poppyseed scones above. Add nutella when adding the buttermilk.
2. Bake 15-20 minutes