Warning: I never actually wrote this recipe down, so use your instincts and make this into your own. Flavor it with anything you fancy.
What you will need:
- 2 to 4 apples (i like granny smith)
- 3 cups crumbled corn bread (you can make homemade, store bought or make from the blue Jiffy box)
- 1 roll of Jimmy Dean low fat sausage or sage flavored
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup apple cider/juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 celery stalk
- sprig of rosemary + thyme
- some type of baking dish. I use a glass baking dish
What you need to do:
1. Peel and core apples with a knife or peeler.
2. Carefully, with a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the apple and reserve apple pieces.
3. Brown sausage. Add spices, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from pan, set aside
3. Chop, celery, carrot, onion and apple pieces
4. Melt butter in the same pan you browned the sausage. Add carrot, onion, celery and apple.
5. Saute until carrots are somewhat soft.
6. Add maple syrup and brown sugar
7. Turn off the heat.
7. Add the sausage, almonds and cranberries
8. Stir in cornbread to incorporate everything together. Taste it, season it.
9. Stuff the peeled, cored and scooped apples with the mixture
10. There's always extra stuffing, so I like to dump it into a baking dish too
11. Add apple juice around the apples (this will help keep everything moist)
12. Cover pan with foil
13. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until apples are soft.
This recipe screams fall to me. It's homey, sweet/savory and I'd say, versatile.